This table provides the function groups and grades of the staff employed by the European institutions, bodies or agencies.
Officials and temporary agents are classed into function groups according to the nature of their duties: administrator (AD), assistant (AST), Secretary and clerk (AST/SC).
- The AD function group comprises 12 grades corresponding to management, planning and research, scientific and linguistic functions;
- The AST function group comprises 11 grades which correspond to executive and technical functions;
- The AST/SC function group, comprises 6 grades which correspond to secretarial and clerical functions.
Contract staff is subdivided into four function groups corresponding to the duties to be performed. Each function group is subdivided into grades.
- Function group IV comprises grade 13 to 18 and preform administrative, advisory, linguistic and equivalent technical tasks, performed under the supervision of officials or temporary staff.
- Function Group III comprises grade 8 to 12 and preform executive tasks, drafting, accountancy and other equivalent technical tasks, performed under the supervision of officials or temporary staff.
- Function group II comprises grade 4 to 7 and preform clerical and secretarial tasks, office management and other equivalent tasks, performed under the supervision of officials or temporary staff.
- Function group I comprises grade 1 to 3 and preform manual and administrative support service tasks, performed under the supervision of officials or temporary staff.
The legal framework is provided in the Staff Regulations of Officials (EUSR), ANNEX 1 "Types of posts in each function group, as provided for in Article 5(4)" (https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:01962R0031-20200101) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Economic Community and the European Atomic Energy Community (CEOS). The grading of Contract Agents and Auxiliary Contract Agents is regulated in Article 80(2) of the CEOS.