• As an EU national you have the right to move to another EU country to look for work there.
  • As a jobseeker, you don’t need to register as a resident for the first 6 months, but you may need to report your presence when you arrive.
  • If you are being paid unemployment benefits from your home country, you will have to register with the employment service in your host country. You and your family will still be covered by the social security system in your home country – for instance for healthcare costs.
  • If you have not found a job during the first 6 months of your stay, the national authorities can assess your right to extend your stay if you provide evidence that you:
    • are actively looking for a job; and
    • have a good chance of finding one
  • If you have been working in another EU country and you lose your job, or if you are self-employed and work dries up, you can maintain your right to live there.
  • How long you can stay will depend on how long you have been working in your host country and the type of contract you had before you lost your job.
  • If you are temporarily unable to work because of an illness or accident, you can stay for as long as this condition lasts and prevents you from working.
  • Find out more: https://europa.eu/youreurope/jobseekerresident_en

Register as a jobseeker

Aisling moved from Ireland to France to look for a job, where she registered as a jobseeker with the national employment services. She did so within 7 days, submitting a U2 form and agreeing to submit to any checks made on unemployment benefit claimants in her new country. If she decides to stay abroad for longer than 3 months and is still unemployed, she will need to apply for an extension from the national employment service. This is possible up to 6 months, but Aisling may be required to prove that she has been looking for a job during the initial 3-month period and to prove sthat she has a better chance of finding a job over a longer period.


  • As an EU national, you have the right to work in the public sector in another country, for example, in state-owned companies, government bodies and public authorities.
  • To get a job in the public sector, you may need official recognition of your qualifications in the country where you want to work.
  • You cannot be given less credit for your professional experience just because you gained it in another EU country. Comparable experience must be given the same credit when it comes to deciding salaries, grades and other working conditions.
  • Find out more: https://europa.eu/youreurope/public_en


  • If you receive unemployment benefits, you should remain in the country paying these benefits.
  • If you decide to move to another EU country to look for a job, you can continue to receive your unemployment benefit for at least 3 months from the EU country where you were last working and up to 6 months, depending on the institution paying your benefit. You can only do this if you are:
    • wholly unemployed (not partially or intermittently); and
    • entitled to receive unemployment benefits in the country where you became unemployed.
  • To be able to transfer unemployment benefits, you must have been registered as an unemployed jobseeker with the employment services in the country for at least 4 weeks. You should also apply to your national employment services for a U2 form (formerly E303 form) which is an authorisation to export your benefits before moving to your new country.
  • On arrival in the country where you will be looking for a job, you’ll need to:
    • register as a jobseeker with the national employment services within 7 days;
    • submit your U2 form (formerly E 303);
    • agree to any checks made on unemployment benefit claimants in your new country as if you were receiving unemployment benefits there.
  • If you want to keep your entitlement to unemployment benefits, be sure to return to the country paying your unemployment benefits before or on the day your entitlement expires.

Your Europe


This publication is available in 23 languages and in the following formats: