Getting closer to your audience thanks to inclusive digital publishing
It is now more important than ever that digital publications of the European Union reach ALL citizens
In a situation where over 80 million citizens of the European Union (EU) are affected by disabilities, accessibility becomes an increasingly important element of public debate. Article 9 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities obliges Member States and the EU to take appropriate measures to ensure access for persons with disabilities, on equal basis with others, to inter alia information and communication technologies.
The Publications Office (OP), as the publishing service provider of the EU Institutions, has an important role in the field of inclusive publishing. In this context, we would like to invite you to the active participation in the online event `Getting closer to your audience thanks to inclusive digital publishing’ in the framework of the plenary meeting of the Interinstitutional Digital Publishing Committee (IDPC).
Your are welcome to enroll using relevant forms in the “Registration” tab.
Annual plenary meeting of the Interinstitutional Digital Publishing Committee (IDPC): open to IDPC members and the EU agencies.
Date: 19 November 2020
Venue: Online event
- 9.00 - 9.30TESTING CONNECTIONS
- 9.30 - 10.00WELCOME SPEECH
- Getting closer to your audience thanks to inclusive publishing: a necessity for the interinstitutional community of practice
Harolds CELMS, Director of Production of Publications, Publications Office (OP)
- Welcome speech: Do away with barriers!
Gunta ANCA, Chair of the Latvian Umbrella Body for Disability Organisations, board member within the European Disability Forum and member of the European Economic and Social Committee (EESC)
- 10.00 - 11.00PRESENTATIONS AND DISCUSSION (I)
Moderator: Patricia RUGGIU, Head of Unit, Content and Demand Management, OP
- Need for a holistic approach
Susanna LAURIN, member of the leading council of the International Association of Accessibility Professionals; Chief Research and Innovation Officer Funka, Sweden, a Design for all company focussing on accessibility
- Digital inclusion
Tanja KLEUT, ICT accessibility specialist, DG TRAD, European Parliament
- 11.00 - 11.15Virtual coffee break (with a possibility to take part in a quiz: Are you the accessibility champion?)
- 11.15 - 12.15Presentations and discussion (II)
Moderator: Tuuli-Maria MATTILA, Head of Unit, Multimedia and Publications, OP
- Interinstitutional offer of accessibility services of the Publications Office
Edyta POSEL, deputy Head of Unit, Content and Demand Management, OP
- Preparing for future obligations: the review of the Web Accessibility Directive
June LOWERY, Head of Unit, Accessibility, Multilingualism and Safer Internet, DG CNECT
- 12.15 - 12.30 Announcement of the quiz winner and closing speech by the Publications Office